About this guide
The things that show up in the search results for your business’s name—otherwise known as your business’s online reputation—can determine whether your business thrives or fails. Therefore, it’s important to take control of the online conversation regarding your name and ensure that it presents you in the best light.
Read this guide to learn what items comprise your online reputation and the best ways to solve common small-business reputation problems, including:
- Not showing up on smartphone location searches.
- Having a tiny Instagram following.
- Outdated or misleading articles appearing in your search results.
- Having bad online reviews.
- Having few or no online reviews.
- Lots of favorable news coverage of competitors showing up in your search results.
- Many of your search results are for a different business with a similar name in another industry.
A great online reputation starts with great search results
What shows up in the first page of the search results can make or break your career or your personal life
92% of users do not go past Page 1 for any given search.
– Moz Research
78% of U.S. adults believe it is very important to look up info about people and/or businesses online before deciding to interact or do business with them.
– Harris Interactive
Tools and resources to protect yourself
Curious to learn more about online reputation or digital privacy?
Check out our series of informative self-help guides and primers.
What is online reputation management?
The definitive guide to online reputation management
Online privacy tips